Friday, August 6, 2010

Where does our Peace come from?

I titled my blog "Living Victoriously in the Word."

"How blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord, who observe His testimonies, who seek Him with all our heart, they walk in His ways, that our ways may be established to keep His statutes." Psalms 119:1-8.

Word of God being the plumbline as to how to measure life. Today with all of the choices in life, the many paths to follow yet without a compass which direction do we choose? God says the "Word should be a lamp to my feet and light to my path" (Psalms 119:105) this is our guide to life. The Psalmist loves the law why? because the Word gives us the ability to recognize truth from a lie. Discern good from evil. We are wiser than our enemies. It is not a burden we have to carry. It's a light so we don't have to fall down and hurt ourselves. It is not a yoke of bondage but gives us freedom and liberty because we choose to obey from the heart.

Small portions of the Psalmist prayer: God your hands made me and fashioned me; you give me understanding that I may learn Your commandments, may Your lovingkindness comforts me. Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes. Incline my heart to Your testimonies. Establish Your word to Your servant as that which produces reverence for You. I will walk at liberty, for I seek Your precepts. From your precepts I get understanding therefore I hate every false way.

Wonderful truth and promise to victoriously living "those who love Your law have great peace and nothing cause them to stumble" (Psalms 119:165).

What I think is a key question because my flesh battles with my spirit in obedience, how do I attain that peace and that in my walk I do not stumble. Word says "The Word of God is a lamp and a light" so that I do not stumble and a wonderful promise that we have is in Ezekiel 36:25-27 "I will sprinkle clean water on you and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all idols, moreover I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put MY Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be carefully to observe My ordinances". Now this is our Covenant keeping God who puts His Holy Spirit within me. When? "in Him you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of my salvation, having also believed, I was sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of my inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory. (Ephesians 1:13-14)

One word that seems to be before me alot lately is the word "peace", it's amazing how through readings, blogs, newsletter, sermons etc. has been about peace lately or maybe God is speaking to me about walking in peace. How? Philippians chapter 4 has several verses about peace... being anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension will guard your heart and your minds in Christ Jesus... finally brethren (more attainment of peace & our walk) whatever is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard, practice these things and the God of peace will be with you.

We realize that "peace" comes from God and not this world. Peace is a fruit of the Spirit, so therefore let us live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Because God has given us a heart of flesh and has written His law upon our hearts, He promises that He will cause us to "want to obey". It comes from a personal relationship with Him, we cannot attain peace any other way. He lights my path, I choose rather to walk in that path of obedience and therefore do not stumble in darkness.

John 8:12 Jesus spoke to them saying, "I am the light of the world, he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness but will have the light of life."

3 comments: